Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chia... isn't that a pet?

Good evening best friends of mine...
This marks the 11th day of my 24 Day Challenge... Herbal Cleanse Phase complete :) And as some of you already know my scale decided to choose yesterday to spaz out on me... so before that occurred I was down a whole 14.5 pounds... Ridiculous, right?? I mean I'm feelin' pretty special about that. Advocare Herbal Cleanse Phase is the new love of my life... I'll down that fiber drink anytime... maybe...

***A very good friend of mine started the diet YESTERDAY and was down 4 pounds this morning!!!!! A huge shout out to her and her giant step toward the new and better us :)***

So I'm in this special top secret group on Facebook ... a friend of mine created it... and it's called "Strength in Numbers" (which I think is a pretty rockin' name by the way) and I love it. I don't even know half the people in the group but I'm stoked about it's purpose. Its a group of girls that are striving to become healthy and we encourage and support one another, we share recipes, we share ideas, we talk about our struggles and how we are coping day by day. I really enjoy it and I think maybe I post too much on it... but what can I say - I love it. If you'd like to be included in that group just shoot me a FB message or comment on here and I will send you and invite. Females only please and only people that are ready to support and be supported... or I'll kick you in the butt. 

Today I wanted to mention a little teentsy seed I found out about... CHIA SEEDS... they are a concentrated food containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antixidants and calcium. They are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). One ounce (2 TBSP) contines 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, PLUS vitamins and minerals!!!!! What they also do...

  1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
  2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
  3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
  4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
  5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect againstinflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
  6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
  7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.

What can you do with these you ask... well here... put them in an energy bar like I did...
Energy Bars: 130 calories per bar
Ingredients 1 cup quick-cook oats, uncooked (I used rolled oats)
1/3 cup dried tart cherries/or other dried fruit
1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
3 tbsp honey 
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Chia seeds
And if you want to add a few chocolate chips..you can too. It won't up the calories but by about 7 or so calories per bar! Directions Mix the ingredients together in a bowl. Spread the mixture in a pan and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Energy Bars: 130 calories per bar

Now... onto Max Phase Day 2

1 comment:

  1. Yayyyyy!!!! You go girl! I love those silly Chia Seeds!!!

    ReplyDelete

Moving Mountains

 I obviously haven't been journaling/blogging lately... and I feel the need to dump it all. All the highs and lows and in betweens of ou...